But that is what happened when the mother-of-two from Texas took the toddler to Austin Children's Dentistry to have a pair of cavities filled back in March.
And now Squier says she is shocked and furious after her daughter's autopsy report published last month revealed there was nothing wrong with Daisy's baby teeth and did not need any dental work.
'One can only speculate as to why any treatment was performed considering no indication of dental disease or pathology,' wrote dental pathologist Dr. Robert G. in his review and added that the toddler's previous visit showed no decay either.
The autopsy report, conducted by the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office, ruled that anesthesia caused the toddler's death.
However, Melanson's attorney has hit back and said in a statement to Inside Edition that there was no evidence 'the dentist did anything to cause the event. The best interest of the child was everyone's only goal.'
Jason Ray, attorney for the treating dentist at Austin Children’s Dentistry said that the autopsy found no defects because Dr. Melanson removed them before the child tragically passed away and added, 'The report reveals no surprises to us.'
'By the time the forensic odontologist evaluated Daisy, all evidence of dental disease had already been removed by the dentist, as expected.
'A treating dentist always has the advantage of pre-treatment visual exams, clinical findings, and x-rays on the patient; as well as knowing the patient’s dental history, unlike a forensic odontologist.
'The treating dentist in Daisy’s case will present all of the evidence that justified Daisy’s treatment if called on to do so.'
Betty Squier took Daisy to the dentist on March 29 to get treatment for tooth decay in her primary teeth.
Speaking to Inside Edition this week, Squier said she had some doubts about having crowns installed on Daisy's baby teeth, but she went ahead with Melanson's course of treatment.
'I allowed him to do it because I trusted him,' she said.
Daisy was sedated by an anesthesiologist, which was routinely done at the office to keep young patients calm.
During the procedure, the 14-month-old stopped breathing and went into cardiac arrest. Dr Malenson called 911 and Daisy was rushed to a hospital.
Just hours after arriving for her appointment at the dental office, the child was dead.
The cause of death was determined to be the result of complications of anesthesia.
Following the release of the forensic report, Dr Melanson was suspended indefinitely from the practice pending the conclusion of an investigation by the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners.