Thursday, September 1, 2016

British Chef Goes Deaf After Eating World's Hottest Noodles

A British chef who ate the world's hottest noodles - 4,000 times stronger than Tabasco sauce went deaf for two minutes after scoffing the dish.

Ben Sumadiwiria, 22, from London, found the dish at a tiny back street restaurant in Jakarta, Indonesia.

The ‘death noodles’ have 100 bird’s eye chilies crushed together giving it a Scoville rating of 20 million - compared with hot Tabasco which is just 5,000 on the scale.

After Ben scoffed the noodles he started sweating, became dizzy, had to soak his head in water and even went deaf for two minutes.

The chef said: “This was definitely the hottest thing I’ve ever eaten. Within seconds of tasting them I was sweating and feeling sick. We’ve done the calculations and these are definitely the hottest noodles in the world. They are definitely the hottest commercially available dish.

“I’m not really partial to spicy food but when somebody throws down a challenge I just can’t say no.

"I went temporarily deaf and my mouth was burning for hours afterwards.”

The 22-year-old downed half-a-dozen glasses of water, milkshake and ate a cold banana but was still dizzy from the intense heat in his mouth.

He lost his hearing for two minutes and threw up outside in the street several times.

Ben added: “You don’t really taste the noodles, it’s just pure heat with a tiny hint of noodles.