Ngozi, who lived with his parents on Temidola Street, Oko Afo, reportedly died about an hour after drinking local gin.
Punch Metro learnt that one Olufunke had sent her son, Olawumi and Ngozi to buy the gin from the woman, whose name had yet to be ascertained.
It was gathered that the seller gave Ngozi an extra gin in a nylon, which he drank while returning from the errand.
He was said to have become drunk and was taken home by Olufunke, who also resides on the street.
Shorty after Olufunke led Ngozi home, the teenager was said to have gone into convulsion and was rushed to a hospital in the community, where he was pronounced dead.
A resident, who gave his name as Dele Kalejaiye, said the case was reported to the police at the Morogbo Police Division.
Kalejaiye, who spoke with a Punch correspondent in Yoruba, said, “On Saturday, December 3, Mama Olawumi (Olufunke) called Ngozi and sent him to buy ogogoro (liquor) from her customer at Oko Afo bus stop. She asked Olawumi to accompany him.
“When they came back with the drink, Ngozi was already drunk. When he could no longer control himself, she (Olufunke) led him to his house. Her child did not take from the extra drink the seller gave them. She (Olufunke) had also been arrested.”
Another resident, who identified himself simply as Jimoh, said the deceased’s father hardly stayed at home since the incident happened.
“As I speak, I have yet to see him around for almost a week now. I learnt he stays with a relative somewhere in Badagry so he could get over the shock of his son’s death. He was really devastated. He loves him so much and he had warned him several times against taking alcohol,” he added.
A police source at the station disclosed to Punch Metro that the remains of the deceased had been deposited in the Badagry General Hospital morgue for autopsy.
“Immediately the father of the deceased reported the case, Olawumi was arrested but the seller fled. She was eventually apprehended a few days ago. Only the boy drank the drink the seller gave them. Possibly he had never taken such before or the gin was adulterated,” the source added.
The Police Public Relations Officer in Lagos, SP Dolapo Badmos, confirmed the incident, saying, “The case had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Panti, for further investigation.”