He told The Daily Telegraph: "We were supposed to be going for Christmas lunch. I went round there to wake him up and he was just gone, lying peacefully in bed. We don't know what happened yet.
"Everything had been very complicated recently, but George was looking forward to Christmas, and so was I. Now everything is ruined. I want people to remember him the way he was - he was a beautiful person."
In recent years, the hedonistic lifestyle that the singer became famous for had left the once dashingly handsome pop icon a bloated version of himself.
It can also be revealed that during the past year he is thought to have been battling a spiralling heroin addiction.
A source revealed yesterday that Michael had been treated in hospital for an overdose.
“He's been rushed to A&E on several occasions," the source said. "He used heroin. I think it’s amazing he’s lasted as long as he has.”
Cardiac arrest - the cause of death according to Michael's manager, Michael Lipman - is common among heroin users.