Friday, May 10, 2013

Tension In Nasarawa As 43 Police Men Are Killed

Gov. Umaru Al-Makura of Nasarawa State, today confirmed that the death toll from Tuesday’s attack on policemen by a militia had risen to 43.

 Al-Makura announced the figure when he received a delegation from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), who  came to help in the search and rescue effort for victims.

 He said 17 security personnel were still missing but added that the injured were responding to treatment, while some had been discharged from the hospital.

 The governor said the ambush on policemen was an act of sabotage by the group, which might have infiltrated the ranks of security operatives in the state.


 Al-Makura said prior to the operation, the government made efforts to invite the leader of the group, “but he refused to honour the invitation to explain some of the activities of the sect.”

 He said the security agencies had been on the trail of the leader for months and had to take drastic action in order to check the excesses of the group.

 “If we leave the group to continue infringing on people’s rights by forcing them to take concoction in order to initiate them into their fold, it would degenerate into a religious crisis.

 “That is the justification for the action we took, unfortunately, we were betrayed by saboteurs,” the governor said.

 He said the killing was unacceptable and that the government would do all within its power to bring the perpetrators to justice.

He commended NEMA for its prompt response and assured it of adequate support in the discharge of its duties.

Earlier, Air Commodore Charles Otegbade, Director of Search and Rescue, NEMA, expressed his condolences to the families of the deceased and the state government.

 Otegbade said the team was  in the state to assess the situation and report back for proper intervention as well as to provide immediate relief to families of the victims.

Source: Punch

6 comments:

  1. only in nigeria, no value for live, when they arrest them they will blame it on the devil, the devil left Africa since. devilish people

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is unacceptable. Efforts should also be made to arrest the tidal wave of killings by hired fighters from chad and niger especially in Tiv speaking areas of Benue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my heart bleeds

    obyazike.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This incompetent governor should swallow shame and resign. If it were developed countries, the governor won't waste people's time by telling useless stories of sabotage. He will gallantly resign to usher in a better and more competent person. How can you be at the helms of affairs of a state and some stoned, illiterate beggers will gang up to slaughter people who are supposed to protect the citizens of the state. What is left than for the beggers to take over the state house. Anarchy has set in. There is no better word. Except of course, the attack came on the directive of the governor. These days, one does not know who to trust. When as enator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has been found to be the chief sponsor of Boko Haram and he is still walking about freely and dispensing his duties as a law maker. Is the leader of the sect too big to be arrested? Would State Security Service claim not to know of the planned attack? Please, some of us are still sound upstairs......we are not illiterate BH members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New militia groups r springing up on daily basise.g Ansaru and then this new one in Nasarrawa state, Jonathan do something to curb this uprisings as it appears the security forces r becoming overwhelmed thus finding it difficult to contain these volatile situations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can all the sane and normal pple still in d state just leave tht dungeon for these animals.........

    ReplyDelete