How My Ex-Employee & Others Kidnapped Me- Billionaire Godwin Okeke

Culled From Vanguard
The Chairman of G. U. O. Motors Limited, Chief Godwin Okeke,
yesterday, commenced his evidence-in-chief at an Onitsha High Court in Anambra
State, presided over by Justice Chudi Nwankwo, in respect of his abduction by
kidnappers in Onitsha on Sunday, August 23, 2009.
Okeke who spoke under oath, shortly after the court granted
a motion to file and serve additional prove of evidence with respect to one of
the suspected kidnappers, Alexander Onyinanya, filed by the prosecution counsel,
Chris Ajugwe with Mrs. N. D. Wilcox.
He narrated his encounter with the kidnappers at the All
Saints Anglican Church Cathedral, Onitsha when he went for a Sunday worship
with his wife, driver and some family members.
However, counsel to the first and third accused persons, O.
U. Uduma and J. N. Okongwu, did not object to the prosecution counsel’s motion
to file and serve additional prove of evidence with respect to the third
accused, Onyinanya.

How he was abducted
Led in the evidence by his counsel, Okeke stated that he
went for 7 a.m. service which ended at about 10 a.m, adding that between 10.30
and 11 a.m., his wife mounted the steering of his Nissan Amanda Spots Utility
Van, SUV, and was driving towards the church gate when suddenly, gunmen blocked
the car with a bus in front and a Mercedes Benz car at the rear.
Okeke told the court that before he could ask questions, the
gunmen started shooting sporadically, adding that even though he managed to
disarm one or two of them, they shattered his left leg, over-powered him, drove
away his wife and family members before bundling him into his SUV and  zoomed off with the abductors’ vehicles
He further told the court that they passed through Awka Road
and at Limca Road, they met a traffic gridlock but his abductors shot
sporadically into the air to scare the commuters before they continued their
movement up to Nkpor junction where he said they met some policemen and
exchanged fire with them.
Two vehicles snatched
He said: “At Umuoji Road, my abductors discovered that their
tyres were deflated during the exchange of fire with the policemen and they
quickly jumped out of the vehicles, blocked the road, snatched two other
vehicles from their unsuspecting owners and transferred their arms and
ammunition, including 9 AK 47 riffles, rocket launchers, machine guns and a big
Ghana-must-go bag filled with loaded magazines and live cartridges into the
snatched vehicles.
“They continued their journey and drove through Alor,
Adazi-Ani and Adazi-Enu. On getting to somewhere between Adazi-Enu and Neni
communities in Anaocha Local Government Area of the state, they drove into a
bungalow, rounded up the occupants, who were mainly children, locked them up in
one of the rooms and kept me inside the living room.
“I  removed my shirt
and tied my bleeding leg as part of measures to control the blood gushing out
from the bullet wound. At a stage, I became thirsty and requested them to give
me water to drink. Two of the abductors, Emeka Eze and Anthony Ifeanyi Okafor
were with me while others were outside monitoring movements.”
He said the duo with him advised him not to drink water
because of his bullet wound but he insisted on drinking and eventually they
gave him the water which he drank.
He said: “I overheard those outside asking the detained
children where they kept oil, salt and other condiments because at that point,
they had started cooking breadfruit meal for lunch.
The third accused was my ex-employee.
He said after cooking, they presented the food and he ate
with them. He said among those outside, two of them,  a tall and 
short one wore masks, adding that he could discover that the tall one,
Alexander Onyinanya, the third accused with mask was his former employee.
“I could identify Onyinanya because he limps as a result of
an accident he had when he was working for me. I was the one who paid his
hospital bill when he had the accident.
I offered them N1bn, instead of N100m
“After eating the breadfruit meal, they praised me for my
courage and for accepting their food, unlike other victims who usually refuse
to eat during their captivity.”
He said they now asked him to get ready for negotiation to
which he paid attention.
“They  told me that
Chief Paul Okonkwor, Managing Director of Pokobros Group West Africa Limited
paid them N70 million as ransom when they kidnapped him, while Chief Anthony
Enukeme, Managing Director of Tonimas Oil Limited paid them N80 million during
his own time and told me to pay them N100 million.
“I  replied them
promptly that Okonkwor and Enukeme are millionaires, while I am a billionaire,
and offered them N1 billion, instead of N100 million.
“The offer gave them special joy as they now dropped their
weapons by the side, relaxed and asked me how and when the money would get to them
to which I told them that the money was in the bank.”
At this stage, Justice Nwankwo ordered him to stop for the
day till the next adjourned date.

The court now adjourned the matter to November 14, 26, 27,
28, December 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9, this year for accelerated hearing and possible

Follow Us on Facebook – @LadunLiadi; Instagram – @LadunLiadi; Twitter – @LadunLiadi; Youtube – @LadunLiadiTV for updates


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here