Photos: Doctor Flees As Delivery Goes Awry. Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die

Culled From Punch
In a bizarre story that has continued to perplex
investigators and residents of a Lagos community, three generations of a family
have died during the delivery of a baby. Saturday Punch learnt that on May 7,
2015 Dr. Bosun Owolabi, was contacted when 34-year-old Edith Ororobi, went into
labour to give birth to her first child ever.
The doctor allegedly raced to the house at Bogije Town in
Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos in the dead of the night.
But by the time he was done with the delivery, Edith; her
61-year-old mother, Elizabeth Ororobi, who witnessed the procedure, and the
newborn baby, were all dead.

Police sources familiar with the case told our correspondent
that Owolabi instantly fled the scene only to contact a relation of the victims
on the phone and explained how the grandmother, mother and newborn baby died.
The man, who was contacted was Elizabeth’s younger brother,
Jite Tubman.
In his statement to the police, Tubman explained that at
about 3.14am on May 7, he received a call from a doctor, whom he later learnt
was Dr. Owolabi.
Tubman said, “The doctor said my elder sister died of shock
after realising that her daughter, Edith, had died during delivery.
“The father of the dead newborn baby, has travelled out of
the country. I later reported the case to the police, who took an ambulance and
followed us to the house.”
The bodies of mother, child and grandmother were deposited
at the Lagos Island General Hospital.
A police source told our correspondent that by the time they
got to the scene, Owolabi, was nowhere to be found.
“The mother was found in a pool of her own blood while the
baby was found dead on a bed. The grandmother was also found on the floor lying
on her right side. We are still searching for the doctor. The family has even
refused to come forward after reporting the case,” a police source said.
The case was transferred from the Elemoro Police Division at
Ibeju-Lekki to the Department of Criminal Investigation, Panti, Yaba.
When Saturday PUNCH contacted Dr. Owolabi on the phone to
get his side of this story, he said his lawyer would be in a position to tell
the story better.
“I don’t want to say what I did not do,” he said.
Asked to explain what actually happened during the delivery
and why he was on the run, Dr. Owolabi said, “I am not on the run. That is a
lie. I was never arrested and I am not aware that the case is now at Panti
(DCI). I cannot say anything further.”

The police believe that Dr. Owolabi works with the
Government Health Centre at Arapaji Village, Ibeju-Lekki but explained that the
case has been stalled because the family seemed not to be interested in it.

Follow Us on Facebook – @LadunLiadi; Instagram – @LadunLiadi; Twitter – @LadunLiadi; Youtube – @LadunLiadiTV for updates


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here