Ekiti Striking Doctors Adamant, Reject Obas’ Intervention

0
The striking resident doctors of the Federal Tertiary
Hospital, Ido Ekiti, have rejected the appeal of the Ekiti State Council of
Traditional Rulers to call off their four-month-old industrial strike.
The council led by its Chairman and Ologotun of Ogotun, Oba
Samuel Oyebade, had last week Friday held a meeting with the Chief Medical
Director of the hospital, Dr Majekodunmi Ayodele, and officials of the
Association of Resident Doctors.
Also at the meeting were the Ajero of Ijero Ekiti, Oba
Joseph, Adewole; Alara of Aramoko, Oba Olu Adeyemi and the Olojudo of Ido
Ekiti, Oba Idowu Faboro.

The meeting had advised the doctors to call off the strike
immediately, while all their demands would be met as finances improved.
But the doctors have yet to resume work on Thursday.
Speaking on the issue in Ado Ekiti, Oba Adewole said the
council waded in the matter to avert unwarranted death and sufferings among
the  masses.
The monarch urged the striking doctors to give the council a
benefit of the doubt about its capacity to ensure that all their demands were
met.
“We are very optimistic that the doctors will see reason and
respect our intervention. Ordinarily it is not our duty to mediate in this kind
of crisis, but we can’t continue to watch when our people are suffering.
“This hospital is a major referral centre in Ekiti. Many
lives have been lost due to this strike. The Chief Medical Director had given
us the assurances that he would meet all their demands when the finances
improve. So, we are looking forward to seeing them calling off this strike,” he
said.
The CMD, who expressed dismay over the situation in the
hospital said, “The royal fathers had pleaded with all of us to keep faith in
one another just for the members of the public to enjoy the best out of this
medical facilities.
“We have both reached an agreement before the royal fathers
and I believe we have to keep the pact to respect their positions. I have
promised that all their demands will be met, but that cannot happen when the
hospital is completely shut down.”
Speaking about the 
doctors’ refusal to suspend the industrial disharmony, the ARD’s
Secretary, Dr  Deji Ekundayo, said the
action should not be seen as an act of disrespect for the monarchs.

He added that the doctors decided to continue with the
strike until all their demands were met.

Follow Us on Facebook – @LadunLiadi; Instagram – @LadunLiadi; Twitter – @LadunLiadi; Youtube – @LadunLiadiTV for updates

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here