Monday, September 24, 2018
Meghan Markle Reveals 'Fun Surprise' She Included For Prince Harry On Her Wedding Veil
The Duchess of Sussex has revealed that her tribute to the 53 nations of the Commonwealth featured on her 15ft wedding veil was a complete surprise for her groom Prince Harry.
In a new clip from the ITV documentary Queen of the World, Meghan also reveals how important it was to her that her Givenchy gown created by Clare Waight Keller acknowledged all of the nations.
She explains: 'I knew that it would be a fun surprise as well for my now husband, who didn't know, and he was really over the moon to find out that I would make this choice for our day together.'
The Duchess has also shared how she asked for a patch of blue fabric from the outfit she wore on her first date with the Duke of Sussex to be stitched into her wedding gown.
Meghan said it was her idea to incorporate the symbolism in a design which mirrored that of the Queen’s Coronation gown in 1953.
'It was important for me, especially now being a part of the Royal Family, to have all 53 of the Commonwealth countries incorporated,' she said.
Adding how surprised her now husband was at the tribute she said: 'I think the other members of the family had a similar reaction and just appreciation for the fact that we understand how important this is for us and the role that we play, and the work that we're gonna continue to do within the Commonwealth countries.
'So, yeah, it was good news all around, I think, so I hope people liked it as much as I liked helping to create it.'
Which flowers are represented on Meghan's veil?
· Botswana - Ear of Sorghum and Cat’s Claw (Uncaria tomentosa)
· Cameroon - Red Stinkwood (Prunus africana)
· Gambia - White Variety Orchid
· Ghana - Caladium (Caladium)
· Kenya - The Tropical Orchid
· Lesotho - Spiral Aloe (Aloe polyphylla)
· Malawi - Lotus (Nymphea lotus)
· Mauritius - Trochetia Boutoniana
· Mozambique - Maroon Bell Bean (Markhamia zanzibarica)
· Namibia - Welwitschia (Welwitschia mirabilis)
· Nigeria - Yellow Trumpet (Costus spectabilis)
· Rwanda - Torch Lily (Kniphofia uvaria)
· Seychelles - Tropicbird orchid (Angraecum eburnum)
· Sierra Leone - Scadoxus (Scadoxus cinnabarinus)
· South Africa - Protea (Protea cynaroides)
· Swaziland - Fire Heath (Erica cerinthoides)
· Uganda - Desert rose (Adenium obesum)
· United Republic of Tanzania - African violet (Saintpaulia)
· Zambia - Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea)
· Australia - Golden wattles (Acacia pycnantha)
· Fiji - Tagimaucia (Medinilla waterhousei)
· Kiribati - Bidens Kiribatiensis
· Nauru - Calophyllum
· New Zealand - Kowhai (Sophora microphylla)
· Papua - Sepik Blue Orchid (Dendrobium lasianthera)
· Samoa - Teuila (Alpinia purpurata)
· Solomon Islands - Hibiscus (Hibiscus)
· Tonga - Heilala (Garcinia sessilis)
· Tuvalu - Plumeria (Plumeria frangipans)
· Vanuatu - Anthurium (Anthurium)
· Bangladesh - White Water Lily ( Sada shapla)
· Brunei Darussalam - Simpor (Dillenia suffruticosa)
· India - Indian Lotus (Nelumbo nucifers gaertn)
· Malaysia - Bunga Raya Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa sinensis)
· Pakistan - Jasmine (Jasminum officinale)
· Singapore - Vanda miss Joaquim Orchid (Miss Joaquim)
· Sri Lanka - Blue Water Lily (Nymphaea nouchali)
CARIBBEAN & AMERICAS
· Antigua and Barbuda - Agave (Agave karatto)
· Bahamas - Yellow Elder (Tecoma stans)
· Barbados - The pride of Barbados (Caesalpinia pulcherrima)
· Belize - The Black Orchid (Encyclia cochleata)
· Canada - Bunchberry (Cornus canadensis)
· Dominica - Carib Wood (Sabinea carinalis)
· Grenada - Bougainvillea (Nyctaginaceae)
· Guyana - Victoria Regia Water Lily (Victoria amazonica)
· Jamaica - Lignum Vitae (Guiacum officinale)
· Saint Lucia - The rose and the marguerite
· St Kitts and Nevis - Poinciana (Delonix regia )
· St Vincent & the Grenadines - Soufriere Tree (Spachea perforatais)
· Trinidad & Tobago - Chaconia (Warszewiczia coccinea)
· Cyprus - Cyclamen Cyprium (Cyclamen cyprium)
· Malta - Maltese centaury (Cheirolophus crassifolius
· England - Rose
· Wales - Daffodil (Narcissus)
· Northern Ireland - Flax flower
· Scotland - Thistle