Saturday, May 18, 2019

Newlyweds woke up to 'screams of terror' in 'traumatising' honeymoon hotel fire

A couple have relived the moment they woke up to "screams of terror" after a fire broke out in the hotel on their dream honeymoon.

Erika and John Calvert, from Southport, had enjoyed a lovely two days at the Garden of Sun in Altinkum, Turkey, before disaster struck.

Erika, 38, said a fire broke out at about 5.15am on Wednesday but they only woke up at about 7am when they heard women screaming 'there's a fire, there's a fire, get out'.

She claims they were trapped in their smoky room for about an hour and a half with a wall of thick black smoke on the other side of the door.


According to Erika, there were no fire alarms or sprinklers - something the hotel has denied.

Erika says she had a panic attack and feared they wouldn't make it out.

But eventually a 'hero' guest came to help them and they decided they had no choice but to run through the smoke.

Erika has suffered smoke inhalation and has made four hospital trips since the incident.

John, 40, suffered an ankle injury through tripping during their escape from the hotel.

Although Erika was advised to stay in hospital, she says she signed a form to allow her to fly back to the UK at her own risk, on the condition she would seek medical attention once she arrived.





1 comment: