Thursday, October 31, 2019

Teacher dies after being bitten by insect while on holiday

A popular history teacher died after falling ill on his first day back at school following a holiday in Vietnam.

Medics believe 27-year-old Josh Brooker developed a blood infection caused by an insect bite.

Tributes have been paid to the teacher, who worked at the Hope Academy in Newton-le-Willows, the Liverpool Echo reports .

Josh's dad James, 57, from Somerset, said the illness was unexpected and described him as "kind, thoughtful, and gentle."


He fell ill shortly after returning to work on the first day of term after the school holidays when he developed feverish symptoms.

Josh was admitted to the Liverpool Royal Hospital on September 3 and placed into intensive care after the infection affected his lungs.

He was then transferred to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester where his condition deteriorated.

Doctors told his family that the staphylococcus bacteria that caused the infection is likely to have entered Josh's bloodstream due to the insect bite.

On 1 October, after spending almost a month in hospital, Josh passed away in intensive care at Wythenshawe Hospital.

Dad James said: "Josh developed a bacterial infection from an insect bite. It got into his bloodstream which and caused abscesses close to his spine and in his lungs.

"He went travelling there on his own for the length of the school summer holidays. When he came back he told me it was the best thing he'd ever done.

3 comments: