Saturday, November 30, 2019

London Bridge attacker named as convicted terrorist

The London Bridge attacker who killed a man and a woman has been named by police as 28-year-old Usman Khan.

Khan was convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences and released from prison last December on licence, Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said.

The Commissioner said Khan had been living in the Staffordshire area and officers were searching the address.

He added police were "not actively seeking anyone else" over the attack which left two dead and several others injured.


In a statement, Mr Basu said: "The investigation into the attack near London Bridge continues at a pace.

"Whilst we are still in the early stages of the investigation, at this time we are not actively seeking anyone else in relation to the attack.

"However, we continue to make fast time enquiries to ensure that no other people were involved in this attack and that there is no outstanding threat to the public.

"As I stated earlier, police were called at 1.58pm to a stabbing at premises near to London Bridge, EC1. Emergency services attended, including officers from the City of London Police and the Metropolitan Police.

"A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers and I can confirm that he died at the scene.

"We are now in a position to confirm the identity of the suspect as 28-year-old Usman Khan, who had been residing in the Staffordshire area. As a result, officers are, tonight, carrying out searches at an address in Staffordshire.

"This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences. He was released from prison in December 2018 on licence and clearly, a key line of enquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack."

3 comments: