Thursday, January 2, 2020

Cancer patient dies on operating table after surgeons accidentally set her on fire

A woman with cancer died during a routine operation after surgeons set her on fire, it is believed.

Doctors at Floreasca Hospital in Bucharest, Romania, used an alcohol-based disinfectant on the woman, 66, before accidentally igniting the fluid with an electric scalpel, according to reports.

She suffered burns to 40 per cent of her body and died a week later.

Police have now launched an investigation into her death.


Her family  said they hadn't been told of "the gravity of the situation" - and were only told that an "accident" had killed her.

A relative said: "We found out some details from the press, when they were broadcast on TV stations.

"We aren't making accusations, we just want to understand what happened."

Romania's Ministry of Health are launching an investigation into the incident.

Romania's health minister Victor Costache promised to investigate the "traumatic" incident, adding: "We hope to learn from this troubling episode.

3 comments: