Friday, March 20, 2020

How shoes left at robbery scene led to arrest of suspect

A witness at Sgt Jamilu Tanimu of Zaria City Police Division, yesterday narrated how a pair of shoes left at the scene of a robbery, linked a juvenile to the crime.

Tanimu made this known while giving evidence at the Zaria City Magistrate Court on Thursday.

The Prosecution, Sgt. Yau Garba, had earlier said the case was first mentioned on February 20, against the defendants; Isah Abdullahi and Mubarak Abdullahi, both 17 years, of Unguwan Dan Madami, Zaria.

The prosecution said the defendants were standing trial over criminal conspiracy, housebreaking, trespass and intimidation, contrary to Sections 58, 327, 377, 270 and 332 of Kaduna State Penal Code Laws.

The witness told the court that on February 6 at about 10:30 hours a case of criminal trespas, house breaking, theft and intimidation was reported by the nominal complainant, Alhaji Yahaya Sani at Zaria city police.

Tanimu said the nominal complainant said on February 6, at about 3.45am his house was broken into by armed robbers who carted away his valuables, but forgot a pair of shoes at the house.

The witness said nine days after the robbery, the first defendant, Isah, was caught stealing in a nearby house, close to the complainant’s house.

Tanimu said: “During police investigation, the first defendant identified the shoe and linked it to Mubarak the second defendant.

“The defendants also denied the allegations against them,” he said.

Under cross examination by defense counsel Hamisu Adamu, the witness said the shoe was not the second defendant’s size, but admitted that it was his during interrogation.

The defense counsel also asked if the police found any other items stolen from the complainant in the hands of the defendants, and the witness said no.

The witness was also unable to explain how the shoe got to the complainant’s house, as the second defendant did not give details on that.

The Magistrate, Mrs Ruqayyat-Ummi Ahmed, adjourned the case till March 26, to allow the prosecutor, Yau Garba to call his third witness.

The magistrate also said the subsisting bail granted the defendants remained.