Monday, March 2, 2020

Saudi Arabia, Portugal, Tunisia record first coronavirus cases

Saudi Arabia has confirmed its first case of coronavirus after one its citizens who had returned from COVID-19 hotspot Iran tested positive.

The health ministry said the man, tested after entering the country through Bahrain, had been “isolated in a hospital”.

Saudi Arabia is the last Arab state in the Gulf to report a confirmed case of COVID-19.

Portugal has also confirmed its first case of the new coronavirus, a 60-year-old man who had travelled back from northern Italy, which is the European hotspot for the virus.


A second person hospitalised in Portugal with coronavirus symptoms, a 33-year-old man, was awaiting final test results after initial exams suggested he might be ill with the virus as well.

Tunisia today, also confirmed its first case of the novel coronavirus, the health ministry disclosed.

The Health Minister, Abdelatif el-Maki, said this at a news conference in Tunis, the country’s capital, explaining that the patient is a 40-year-old Tunisian man who had returned from Italy.

1 comment: