Monday, September 7, 2020

3 die, 147 infected with coronavirus after indoor wedding

An outbreak linked to an indoor wedding in the American state of Maine that breached local attendance limits has now resulted in three deaths and 147 infections. 

The outbreak began on August 7 when people attended the indoor wedding and reception in the small town of Millinocket.

The official ceremony took place at Tri-Town Baptist Church and around 65 people attended the reception at Big Moose Inn. The state's limit on social gatherings is 50 people.

In the last week of August, officials said there were 53 cases directly connected to the wedding.  

By August 31 that number had risen to 123 and on Wednesday it reached 134 cases. 

On Friday, 147 Maine residents who attended the wedding or got second-hand infections as a result of the wedding ceremony were recorded. 

'One of the things we've learned over the past six months of working with outbreaks and COVID-19 is that no outbreak is an island,'  Maine Centre for Disease Control (CDC)  Director Dr. Nirav Shah said during a press briefing. 

'What this really hammers home is that outbreaks are not isolated events. One outbreak can quickly lead to several more outbreaks, especially in a close geographic area.'

Maine CDC spokesperson Robert Long said that three people have died from the outbreak and none of them had even attended the wedding. 

One of those victims includes Theresa Dentremont, an 83-year-old woman who died at Millinocket Regional Hospital on August 21 after contracting the virus.

Detremont did not attend the wedding, but hospital staff believed she may have been infected by someone who did.

Her 97-year-old husband Frank Dentremont, who is a WWII veteran and the oldest resident of East Millinocket, was hospitalized at the same facility a few days later with COVID-19.

3 comments: