Sunday, February 14, 2021

Fashola breaks promise, Third Mainland Bridge not fully reopening February 15th

Minister of works and housing, Babatunde Raji Fashola has reneged on opening fully the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos, for traffic on 15th of February.

According of the works ministry, the bridge will now be opened at the end of the month, almost two weeks after Fashola’s date.

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola Sunday said the bridge would experience one more total closure from Feb. 19 to 21 before completion of the project, for the final re-opening by the end of February.

“Third Mainland Bridge will no longer be opened on the 15th of February 2021 as announced earlier on.

“In order not to create untold hardship for the motoring public using the Third Mainland Bridge for their daily activities, the contractor is not allowed to close the Third Mainland Bridge during the week to cast concrete.

“Lane markings on the completed section must be completed,’’ he said.

“The Federal Ministry of works and Housing regret the inconveniences the extra days may have caused the Lagosians,’’ he said.

Popoola explained that the bridge would be totally shut down from midnight on Feb. 19 to 21st to cast concrete on the last expansion joint.

He said that the concrete would require between three to four days to set before the final preparations to finally re-open the entire bridge to traffic.

These processes, he said, could drag to the end of February when the highway would eventually be opened up.

“We are looking at the end of the month for the reopening of the bridge. That is, end of this February.

2 comments: