7 year-old boy dies after accidentally setting himself on fire as he and pal play with matches
A seven-year-old boy died after being set alight when he was playing with matches and petrol.
Utah youngster Kaisen Dam and a nine-year-old buddy who hasn’t been named were messing around by a metal fence in an alleyway by their homes.
The pals were heard screaming as Kaisen tragically caught fire, which rapidly spread to his petrol-splashed body.
Within seconds 90% of his body was on fire, giving the boy severe burns which ultimately took his life.
Kaisen was rushed to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah, where he died from his injuries on Saturday evening.
Video from the horror scene shows the melted fence, burned branches and black grass.
Neighbour Sito Tausingo told local station KSL-TV: “He’s like a little brother to us.
“He was really close.
“He’s the one who brings everyone together.”
Sito’s sister Fane said: “I’m sad. I’m really sad.
“He would just come ride bikes with us and then he started to know us, and my mom loved him.”
The neighbours described Kaisen as a friendly lad who was always pleading with locals to play outside with him.
Fane added: “Yesterday, he just came and he was like, ‘I’m bored.’
“And I opened the window and I said, ‘Go home.’
“And three hours later, we found out there was a fire in the back.
“My auntie called my mom and we just heard my mom screaming, and we all came over here.”
Kaisen’s grandparents, Vietnamese immigrants to the US, told the TV channel how much they loved their grandson and what a beautiful person he was.
The Salt Lake City Police Department is investigating the fatal fire.