After initial denial, the Nigerian Air Force on Thursday admitted that one of its fighter jets on a mission against terrorists “unfortunately” bombed civilians in Yobe State on Wednesday.
NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Edward Gabkwet, disclosed this in a statement made available to journalists today, adding that investigation had commenced into the incident.
The PUNCH had earlier reported that residents of Buhari community, in the Yunusari Local Government Area of Yobe State on Wednesday claimed that a NAF fighter jet rained bullets from the skies and killed nine people in the area, while several other villagers sustained injuries.
Air Force spokesman had, on Wednesday, denied reports linking one of its fighter jets to the bombing.
But in a statement on Thursday, the NAF spokesman said that the “initial (Press) release denying the involvement of NAF aircraft was based on the first report available” at the time.
In the statement titled, ‘Investigation commences on alleged aircraft firing of civilian settlements’, Gabkwet said that the location of the incident was a notorious lair for terrorists and “well known for continuous Boko Haram/ISWAP activities.”