Fans have slammed Napoli for “working to ensure” that they rule striker, Victor Osimhen, out of the forthcoming Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon next year.
The AFCON is billed to hold between January 9 to February 6, 2022 with the three-time African champions billed to face Egypt, Guinea-Bissau and Sudan in Group D.
Napoli stated on Thursday that the striker had tested positive for COVID-19 and is being isolated for at least the next seven days.
According to the BBC, the 23-year-old tested positive for the virus in Nigeria.
The striker had been billed to be examined by the club doctor on Friday (today) but his new status means that he would only be checked after his isolation period is over.
“Victor Osimhen has tested positive for COVID-19 but is asymptomatic,” Serie A team Napoli said in a statement.
“Consequently, the local authorities have ordered that Osimhen self-isolate and the check-up will be rescheduled after he has tested negative and his period of isolation ends.”
Reacting to the post on social media, some Nigerian fans claimed that it was a subtle plan by Napoli to keep Osimhen from representing Nigeria at the AFCON.
@chabo_king on Twitter wrote, “Whatever mind games you are playing just have it at the back of your mind that Osimhen would be playing AFCON.”
@dami_mastermind said, “Common Napoli. You just don’t want him to play at AFCON it’s glaring. He was tested negative while leaving Nigeria now on arriving back in Italy he’s positive.”
@kayode_tevi tweeted, “If you’re trying to prevent him from representing his country that’s disrespectful to his nation and Africa as a whole.”
“Word of advice Napoli, if you want to get the very best of Victor, stop all these shenanigans and allow him play for Nigeria the way he wants. Else, the relationship will be downstream from here onwards!” Yinka Tinuade tweeted.