Meghan Markle has won a legal battle with the publisher of The Mail On Sunday over a letter to her estranged father.
The Duchess of Sussex, 40, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over five articles that reproduced parts of a “personal and private” letter to Thomas Markle, 77, in August 2018.
The actress-turned-royal won her case earlier this year when a High Court judge ruled in her favour without a full trial.
But ANL brought an appeal and, at a three-day hearing in November, argued the case should go to a trial on Meghan’s claims against the publisher – including breach of privacy and copyright.
Three senior judges handed their decision on that appeal at 10am on Thursday in which the appeal was dismissed.
Giving a summary of the decision, judge Sir Geoffrey Vos said: “The Court of Appeal upheld the judge’s decision that the duchess had a reasonable expectation of privacy in the contents of the letter.
“Those contents were personal, private and not matters of legitimate public interest.
“The articles in the Mail on Sunday interfered with the duchess’ reasonable expectation of privacy and were not a justified or proportionate means of correcting inaccuracies about the letter.”
Explaining the decisions he said: “It was hard to see what evidence could have been adduced at trial that would have altered the situation.